I started Diane Sanfilippo’s 21 Day Sugar Detox on April 1. It’s not easy to get all my thoughts out about this experience in one post. So, I’ll be writing more than one post on this. I’m planning on doing this again in July. Next time I’ll write about it throughout the process. I think it will help me with motivation and observations.
Why did I decide to do a 21 Day Sugar Detox?
My body needed a jumpstart, especially since I had been eating large portions of fruit; and had cheated with sugar, nuts, and dairy a few times. I was having increased symptoms like fatigue, constipation, depression, insomnia, dizziness, and nausea. A spring detox is always a good thing, especially for someone who has a hard time eliminating toxins.
How did I choose to do the 21 Day Sugar Detox?
Since my diet is AIP Paleo, I chose to go all the way and then some. I’m a former Body Ecology dieter; so I’m very conscious of sugar. I avoided all fruit except small amounts of cranberry juice. I avoided all starchy vegetables such as sweet potato and plantain, and even winter squash since I’ve experienced sugar spikes from them as well. I avoided coconut until day 12. I was also cautious and moderate with eating FODMAPS. No, you don’t have to get that extreme. It depends on where you are starting from. In fact, I’ll go a little less extreme in the future; and I’ll explain why later.
How did I prepare for the 21 Day Sugar Detox?
- I made a list of all the foods I could and couldn’t eat.
- I highlighted the ones that were best for cleansing the body of toxins.
- I made a list of all the ways I could support my detox: regular sleep, exercise, detox baths, walking outdoors, oil pulling, dry brushing, netti pot, having fun, and feeling & releasing negative emotions.
- I stocked up on everything I needed.
- I rendered tallow, and made bone broth.
- I made jerky, and dehydrated veggies for traveling.
So what did I eat?!
My trusty food journal has revealed that I ate:
- lots of ground beef, turkey, chicken, liver, sardines, salmon, and heart jerky
- some shrimp, bacon, kidney, lamb, steak, cod, crab, clams, and oysters
- lots of chicken and beef bone broth
- lots of tallow
- some turkey schmaltz
- lots and lots of avocado and coconut oil
- cultured carrots with ginger
- lots of romaine and spring greens
- radish greens
- beet greens
- turnip greens
- Swiss chard
- broccoli rabe
- lots of cucumber
- lots of carrots
- coconut milk & coconut butter
- herbs & spices: turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cinnamon, mace, cloves, cilantro, parsley, marjoram, basil, oregano, thyme, chives, asafoetida
- flavorings: apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, rose hips, Celtic sea salt
- thickener (sparingly): arrowroot
- watered down cranberry juice
- lemon water
- beet kvass
- coconut water
- Pau D’arco Tea
- chamomile tea
- nettle tea
- dandelion tea
- valerian tea
Looking back, I could have had so much more variety in my diet. There really are a lot of choices. Healthy choices!
See my post for a 21 Day Sugar Detox friendly Daikon Soup!